Monday, December 9, 2013

Little River Band / Poco, Oct. 1, 1981, El Paso Civic Center South Hall, El Paso, TX




       For my first eight concerts, getting the tickets was relatively easy.  My parents graciously supported my love of live music and I enjoyed a good string of quality entertainment while having to endure very little stress for the privilege.  That streak of luck almost ran out, however, when it came time to see my ninth show, The Little River Band and Poco.

       In the few weeks leading up to the start of my junior year in high school, I spent my early evening hours running hard miles with my team-mates from the cross-country team.  We were serious about our sport and it made sense to us to prepare for the upcoming season.  Normally, a workout would last about an hour and a half.  This meant that I'd usually be home by about eight or eight-thirty.  Unfortunately, one particular workout lasted a bit longer and I arrived home a few minutes after nine.

       As far as I knew, I had no set-in-stone curfew, so I saw no problem with coming home a little late.  My parents, however, saw it differently, were angry, and promptly informed me that I would not be seeing the Little River Band concert.  This punishment, on the surface, would not have raised any protestations of fairness from me.  I did not own any Little River Band or Poco albums and so was not very invested in their music in a way that I would have been for Foghat, Judas Priest, or Molly Hatchet.  But I'd already asked my favorite red-headed girl to go to the show, and having to tell her that we couldn't go because I was being punished for a (non-existent) curfew violation raised all sorts of angry feelings inside my adolescent mind.  Most of all, though, I feared that my loss of our date would make me look weak in an already tenuous high school relationship.

       So, I went into bargaining mode.  And when that didn't work, I escalated to begging mode.  And when that didn't work, I moved up to whining mode.  And when that didn't work, I went into full-blown teenager pouting mode.

       Now, of course, with the benefit of hindsight, I know I was wrong.  I should have accepted my punishment and gotten over the fact that I could not take a girl who really didn't like me that much to see a couple of bands that I didn't care about until I'd read they were coming to town.  But my teenage mind just could not see it that way.  I was a manipulative kid, as my Simon and Garfunkel incident clearly proves, and my Mom eventually gave in, bought our tickets and drove us to the show.

       The show was staged in the El Paso Civic Center South Hall and the setup was very strange.  The hall was a rectangle with bleachers along one long side.  Instead of placing the stage in the center of the opposite long side, the promoter had the stage at the end of the long side.  So a lucky few were standing or sitting in front of the stage, while the majority---including my date and I---watched the show from the right of the stage and at a considerable distance.

       Poco began their performance promptly at eight o'clock with a thunderously confident version of the song "Under the Gun."  I'm aware that the words "thunderously confident" have probably never been used to describe a Poco tune, but it's the only accurate description for the way the band took the stage.  The song is dominated by a strong eight note riff and guitarist Rusty Young played it while holding his guitar out to the side.  When the chorus came around, new bassist Charlie Harrison sang the words with fervor while his long hair hung in his eyes.  I'd never heard the song before, but it immediately accomplished two things: it made me a fan of Poco, and it became one of my favorite Poco tunes.

       Up until the show, I'd only been aware of Poco for a few years.  Their album "Legend," released in 1978, featured two songs that reached the top twenty of the singles chart: "Crazy Love" and "Heart of the Night."  Both songs were all over the radio in 1978 and so were impossible for me to ignore.  I liked them both and was happy to hear them played in a live setting.

       A few days before the show, during a doctor visit, I mentioned to a doctor that I was going to see Poco in concert and his reaction was to raise his eyebrows and say "They're still around?"  This statement made me stop and think about what I knew about Poco.  Apparently, they'd been around a lot longer than I'd thought.

       Rusty Young and guitarist/singer Ritchie Furay were both involved with the band Buffalo Springfield, and after the dissolution of that band decided to form their own band, calling themselves Pogo, after the comic strip.  Walt Kelly, the cartoonist for the famous comic soon  raised objections to the use of the name and they changed the name to Poco.  They released their first album in 1969 and over the next few years released many albums that reached a small niche of country rock fans.  Original guitarist Jim Messina was replaced by Paul Cotton in 1970, and in 1973 Furay left to pursue other projects.  By the time "Legend" was released in 1978, the only two longtime members were Young and Cotton.

       Of course, the band reached back into their pre-"Legend" material during their set at the Civic Center, giving me an eye-opening history of American country rock.  They played upbeat early tunes like "A Good Feeling to Know" and "Grand Junction" as well as the dramatic and uplifting "Rose of Cimmaron."

        After a short intermission, The Little River Band took to the stage and proceeded to play one hit after another.  Anybody growing up within earshot of a radio in the late seventies would have known most of the songs played that evening.  "Lady," "Help is on Its Way," "Lonesome Loser," "Happy Anniversary," "Cool Change," and "Reminiscing" were all given fine renditions with trademark perfect harmonies.

       Fortunately, all three songwriters responsible for the bulk of their hits were present at the show in El Paso: singer Glenn Shorrock, guitarist David Briggs, and guitarist Graham Goble.

       Besides their previous hits, the band from Australia also played songs from their newest album, "Time Exposure," which were every bit as infectious as the older material.  These songs included "Man on Your Mind," "Take it Easy on Me," and a surprisingly rocking version of "The Night Owls," sung by new bassist Wayne Nelson.

       I left this concert with an appreciation for both The Little River Band and Poco that I did not expect to gain.  For both bands, the sound was professional, the playing was tight, and the harmonies were warm and well delivered.  I can't say that I am proud of how I came to see the show, but I am glad that I can say that I've seen both bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment